In 2018, MM launched the German Kraft Brewery onsite at Mercato Metropolitano in Elephant & Castle.
The business was launched by Felix Bollen, and his friends Michele Tieghi and Anton Borkmann, who wanted to bring authentic fresh German beer to London. Its malts are sourced from a 400-year-old Franconian brewery and malthouse, Steinbach Bräu. German Kraft uses innovative distillation technology that allows it to transform hard London tap water into pure soft brewing water.
As is the case with all of Mercato Metropolitano’s trading partners, GermanKraft prides itself on its sustainable credentials and to date, it has saved over 17000 kg of plastic by selling all by serving beer exclusively from tanks and refillable steel kegs. By selling beer directly to consumers the micro-brewery cuts out the need to package and transport its beer, vastly reducing its carbon emissions and has so far cut its carbon footprint by 73%.
Its bespoke distillation process creates water with the same minerals that you would find in Franconia, whilst ensuring consistent, high quality brews that are unfiltered, unpasteurised and without additives or preservatives in accordance with the German Purity Law. Waste heat from the brewing is ‘recycled’ in the distillation process and surplus water is served as drinkable mineralized water, served in reusable glass bottles.
MM is inviting people, companies and policymakers across London, the UK and the world to join the movement to change food culture in the country. This is an open invitation for people who believe in:
Healthy, sustainable, living food made with rural, artisanal practices
Supply chains that prioritise quality over price and make good, healthy food available
The importance of community in cities across the world, starting with London
We are delighted to welcome you all back, with an array of international dishes from our food trading partners, fresh groceries and artisanal deli in our community markets, which have been expanded with new outdoor seating options.
The wellbeing of our guests and our team is always our priority, and at this time it is more important than ever. We have in place the necessary precautions to deal with the Covid-19 situation and keep our visitors safe. Here are the measures we are taking to ensure your visit is safe, including:
• Indoor and outdoor seatings which have been configured to maintain social distancing in line with Government’s guidelines.
• A reduced and limited number of guests temporarily allowed in our markets, with social distancing markings which are in place throughout the indoor and external areas.
• In compliance with the NHS “Test and Trace” system, we are keeping a temporary record of our visitors, to assist NHS with data requests if needed. Please rest assured that we do not use any personal detail collected for any other purpose and will destroy them safely after this NHS requirement ceases.
• Increased hygiene and cleaning of surfaces and restrooms.
• Hand sanitiser stations installed and easy to find around the markets.
While we handle the restrictions required to assist the NHS and the country during this uncertain time, we remain committed to providing all our visitors and citizens with a safe, enjoyable and unique MM experience. Stay tuned to our social media channels for updated opening hours.