MM is more than just a business; we are a movement of people committed to creating a truly sustainable and natural food value chain. Our MMarketplace is where selected food suppliers and our trading partners connect with our visitors to breathe life into healthy living that helps local communities grow strong together. MM brings diverse food practices and ingredients from different countries, cultures, and traditions into urban environments. We take a ‘Glocal’ approach: global reach with a local focus. While you will find dishes from around the world in our marketplace, we encourage the use of locally sourced, natural ingredients.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION (DEI)
We want our employees of today to be our leaders of tomorrow: people of all ages, colours, and creeds who embrace our ethos and values and are ready to become the biggest advocates of our sustainable, inclusive, and supportive business model. At MM, we are committed to the work of advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization and in the world.
MM seeks dynamic, experienced, and entrepreneurial professionals for the role of Head of People (HOP). Candidates will ideally bring significant experience in equitable and inclusive organizational culture. The HOP will have a track record of recruiting top-quality, mission-oriented, diverse talent. The HOP will report directly to the office of the CEO and will be the point person for all things hiring and human resources at MM. A successful candidate will have the capacity to be a thought-leader within MM and amongst potential candidates in order to build company with belonging. Candidates should also show a passion for food and sustainability aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
The HOP responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Recruiting, Hiring, & Onboarding
- Create and evolve a comprehensive set of best-practice processes, tools, and templates for hiring.
- Ensure equity is the foundation for the hiring process and belonging is a value within MM.
- Document candidate pools with diversity metrics and conduct equity analysis throughout hiring process.
- Ensure successful onboarding of new employees into the company through company approved methods.
- Collaborate with the office of the CEO and Head of Finance to ensure effective budget management.
- Manage HR operations and systems; oversee payroll and HR administration.
- Recommend and obtain cost-effective employee benefits, monitor national benefits environment for options and cost savings.
- Oversee benefit orientations and training as needed.
- Support and advise managers to continuously improve MM culture.
- Work with Leadership and Operations teams to review structures and support growth of MM.
- Review and improve employee relations and teamwork within MM.
- Interact effectively with a board of directors with tact, diplomacy, and gravitas.
- Expertise in progressive diversity, equity, and inclusion practices that value belonging.
- Integrity and a strong sense of fairness.
- Practice of a high level of discretion, tact and confidentiality.
- Ability to remain calm and lead under pressure and rapidly changing events.
- Collaborative partner.
- Energy, patience, humor, and optimism.
The HOP sets the strategic vision for how we hire, onboard, and create an inclusive working environment for our employees, is aligned with the Board, and has a strong commitment to MM’s mission. They will also manage operational tasks around payroll, HR queries, and general employment law. Candidates should be approachable active listeners who inspire trust and confidence from others. The HOP will lead by example and encourage others to build on their ideas, challenge them, and expand MM’s HR practice. The HOP will be an exceptional strategist, communicator, and facilitator who can create a vision, a road map for achieving that vision, and the collective buy-in and accountability required to achieve organizational change.
The HOP will analyze DEI at MM and create commitments as well as integrate DEI throughout organizational policies, practices, management, and culture. Candidates will have a comprehensive understanding of socio-political issues in the UK and the ways in which systemic discrimination has marginalized certain populations. Successful candidates will understand leadership in a multiracial, multigenerational setting with the ability to coach others to be inclusive leaders.
Human Resources and Relationship Management
The HOP will have the opportunity to build a team and work with other Heads of Department within the company, establishing goals, managing performance, providing mentoring, coaching and development opportunities. They will review processes and services that support the full employee lifecycle with a particular focus on recruitment, onboarding, and learning
Project Management, Continuous Improvement & Change Management
With a focus on DEI and continuous improvement, function as Project Manager on departmental projects. The HOP will translate department strategic priorities into clear and well-sequenced department plans which ensure optimal use of resources, attention to team capacity, and provide a clear understanding of workflow priorities and deliverables across the team. The candidate will make recommendations for continuous improvements and where necessary for automation and/or streamlining to improve efficiencies. The HOP will Facilitate communication and training of team members and end users on the use of new systems and procedures
Additionally, a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Human Resources or a similar field is preferred, but work experience will take primary consideration. 5-7 plus years of progressive leadership experience and responsibilities in human resources positions. Specialized training in organizational development, employment law, compensation, employee relations and staff training is desired.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Send your CV and a quick video of what food means to you and why you want to work at MM (less than 3 minutes) to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be in touch if you move on to our online interview. Check out our hiring process here!