Mercato Metropolitano (MM) is a global movement driving sustainable food development to tackle some of the world’s biggest societal issues, from food sustainability and security to climate change. Our community markets invite people to eat, buy, share, and learn about food.
In 2016, our first site opened in Elephant & Castle, London. The market attracted four million visitors last year and incubated over 100 food start-ups to date. In November 2019, we launched our second London community market: Mercato Mayfair in St Mark – a Grade 1-Listed Building in Mayfair – and we are delivering two more London sites in the next few months, as well as a number of international sites over the next two years.
We are much more than a food market: MM is an urban destination and a community space. We celebrate and build community through a diverse range of events, workshops, and cookery classes. We provide support to entrepreneurs and incubate start-ups to break down barriers and build a thriving economy. The environment is at the core of everything we do. We bring together natural, sustainable and unadulterated food and serve it using recyclable or compostable materials. We have a zero-waste-to-landfill approach and aim for no single-use plastic across the market.
Over the years, we have cultivated a MMovement of artisans, environment-aware and people who want to make a much-needed positive contribution to the world and help guarantee everyone access to nutritious and affordable food, while promoting sustainable practices across the whole food value chain.
We are now in an exciting phase of our growth. Our team is hugely collaborative, with a family-like approach. We are all incredibly passionate about what we do and in return, we get rewarded for our hard work. Our culture reflects our global mission and our brand values – social consciousness, community spirit, sustainability. We want more and more people to join our MMovement and help the Mercato Metropolitano project spread around the world.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
To help support our continuing growth and success, we are looking for an Accounting Assistant to join our Finance team. The MM Group comprises of a number of subsidiaries and associated companies, so it will be extremely beneficial if you have worked in a similar business previously. MM is currently in a phase of rapid expansion, so this role would suit someone wanting a fast-paced work place with opportunities for growth and development. The key responsibilities for this role include (but are not limited to):
- Entering and coding financial transactions appropriately in relation to each relevant group company
- Processing supplier invoices
- Reconciliation of invoices received with departmental billings
- Issuing invoices to customers
- Coordinate supplier payment runs
- Tracking customer payments
- Reviewing employee expenses and making reimbursements
- Tracking expenses as they relate to specific projects, departments and jobs
- Validating invoices against items or services received
- Checking all financial transactions for accuracy
- Assisting with bank account reconciliations
- Assisting the Finance and Accounting Manager to prepare yearly budgets and critical cash flow, income and expenditure patterns
- Maintenance of the computerised financial systems in line with agreed policies, carrying out regular housekeeping and monthly checks
- Assisting the Finance Team with the design and implementation of accounting, financial and control procedures
- Processing purchase and sales orders
- Assisting the procurement and purchasing team with stock management
- Assisting with payroll data and checks
THE RIGHT CANDIDATE HAS:
- Minimum AAT qualification or working towards CIMA, ACA or ACCA qualification
- Experience with the development, management and operation of finance systems
- Full working knowledge of a mainstream accounting system (e.g. Sage 50/100, Iris, Intuit, etc.) required ( and preference will be given to candidates who have a level of working knowledge of ERPs, particularly Microsoft Navision/Business Central)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, with particular emphasis on Excel
- Good spreadsheet modelling and statistical skills
- Ability to work on administrative systems and follow procedures
- Excellent communication skills, with strong written and spoken English
- Ability to work to tight deadlines if required and prioritise own workload
- Ability to work constructively as part of a team, understanding roles and responsibilities
WHAT WE OFFER:
- The opportunity to work in a company which prioritizes the planet and the people on it
- A competitive salary (£25-28k per annum DOE)
- A lovely office space in Elephant & Castle with great transport links
- 33 days holiday per annum (pro-rated for part-time)
- Nest pension plan
- 20% discount at all MM locations including food stands, bars and grocery
- Monthly engagement activities
Application Process: Please submit a CV via email to email@example.com. In your covering letter, please tell us why you think Mercato Metropolitano is a good fit for you.
We will store applicant data for a period of 3 months and will not share it with anyone outside our organisation without your explicit consent. If we have not contacted you within 3 months (an estimate of the time period that it is likely to take to fill the advertised role) we will delete your data.
Mercato Metropolitano promotes equality of opportunity and diversity within the workplace and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.