SENIOR COMMERCIAL MANAGER
Mercato Metropolitano is leading a global movement driving sustainable food development to tackle some of the world’s biggest societal issues, from food security to climate change. Our sustainable community markets invite people to eat, buy, share, and learn about food. In 2016, our first site opened in Elephant & Castle. We saw 4 million visitors last year and incubated over 100 food start-ups to date. In November 2019, we launched our second London community market, Mercato Mayfair in St Mark – a Grade 1-Listed Building in Mayfair – and we are delivering two more London sites before the end of 2020.
We are much more than a food market: MM is an urban destination and a community space. We celebrate and build community through a diverse range of events, workshops, and cookery classes. We provide support to entrepreneurs and incubate start-ups to break down barriers and build a thriving economy. The environment is at the core of everything we do. We bring together natural, sustainable, and unadulterated food and serve it using recyclable or compostable materials. We have a zero-waste-to-landfill approach and aim for no single-use plastic across the market.
Ultimately, we have started a MMovement of artisans, health-conscious and ordinary people who want to make a much-needed positive contribution to the world, and help guarantee everyone access to nutritious and affordable food, while promoting sustainable practices across the whole food value chain.
We are now in an exciting phase of our growth. Our team is hugely collaborative, with a family-like approach. We are all incredibly passionate about what we do and in return, we get rewarded for our hard work. Our culture reflects our global mission and our brand values – social consciousness, community spirit, sustainability. We want more and more people to join our MMovement and help the Mercato Metropolitano project spread around the world.
We are currently developing our Commercial Department and now require a visionary, highly entrepreneurial Commercial Manager who will help develop our trading partners, shape and execute our commercial strategy, and implement our sourcing capability on both a local and an international scale.
This is an incredibly high profile position within the MMovement and we’d love to speak to you if you have granular experience in all aspects of commercial development within a similar organisation or sector, as well as a proven track-record of delivering the objectives of the role.
You will clearly have a strong commercial knowledge of the food and beverage sector and a demonstrable passion for our ethos and mission!
As part of your wide remit of responsibilities, you will:
- Investigate a wide range of international and national sources to find unique, artisan traders who fulfill MM criteria to become one of our trusted trading partners.
- Research, test and validate our strategic propositions to ensure commercial viability.
- Develop close relationships with bodies such as European cooking schools, restauranteur associations, guilds and similar organisations,
- Manage, from start to finish, public pitches & events, including budgets, allocating staff & venue capability.
- Work on a wide range of projects at any given time, managing budgets to ensure we achieve key milestones and deadline.
It’s essential that you have experience in the strategy and execution of similar initiatives within an ever-changing expanding environment. You will also have:
- Significant project management experience. You’ll be able to multi-task and prioritise to achieve success, you’ll have managed large budgets, organised events and planned and allocated resources effectively.
- Notable experience & a natural aptitude in building relationships with international organisations & partners.
- Multi-site expansion and property management experience. You’ll have played a key part in the opening of new sites, ideally internationally.
- Ideally you will have working knowledge of CRM tools and database and Microsoft Office.
- Hands-on, commercially aware, methodical, analytical and be able to make an impact very quickly.
- A demonstrable passion for innovation in sustainability and inclusive practices. You’ll be non-traditional in your approach – a disrupter in the sector and a supporter of craftmanship over industrial and large-scale products and services.
- A desire to work in an incredible, international community-driven, sustainable business and to truly make a difference within an organisation which is currently being regarded as a ‘trailblazer’ of the new F&B and community business world. You will have a fresh, entrepreneurial approach but also present as grounded, measured and technically astute.
- Your tenacity will be underpinned with empathy, honesty and a successful track record in striving for long, as well as short-term gain.
- Flexibility, an ability to deal with change and offer solutions quickly & prioritise accordingly.
- A clear ability to work independently. You will be a self-starter, proactive and resilient professional.
- Demonstrable strategic acumen that’s underpinned by an ability to dig down into the detail to create a complete picture of any given business situation.
If you think this sounds like you and you want to join our MMovement, we will expect more than a copy of your CV; we would like you to illustrate to us why you would like to work with Mercato Metropolitano and help us to grow!
Application Process: Please submit a CV via email to email@example.com.
We will store applicant data for a period of 3 months and will not share it with anyone outside our organisation without your explicit consent. If we have not contacted you within 3 months (an estimate of the time period that it is likely to take to fill the advertised role) we will delete your data.
Mercato Metropolitano promotes equality of opportunity and diversity within the workplace and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.