Head of Finance
Mercato Metropolitano is leading a global movement driving sustainable food development to tackle some of the world’s biggest societal issues, from food security to climate change. Our sustainable community markets invite people to eat, buy, share, and learn about food. In 2016, our first site opened in Elephant & Castle. We saw 4 million visitors last year and incubated over 100 food start-ups to date. In November 2019, we launched our second London community market, Mercato Mayfair in St Mark – a Grade 1-Listed Building in Mayfair – and we are delivering two more London sites before the end of 2020.
We are much more than a food market: MM is an urban destination and a community space. We celebrate and build community through a diverse range of events, workshops, and cookery classes. We provide support to entrepreneurs and incubate start-ups to break down barriers and build a thriving economy. The environment is at the core of everything we do. We bring together natural, sustainable, and unadulterated food and serve it using recyclable or compostable materials. We have a zero-waste-to-landfill approach and aim for no single-use plastic across the market.
Ultimately, we have started a MMovement of artisans, health-conscious and ordinary people who want to make a much-needed positive contribution to the world, and help guarantee everyone access to nutritious and affordable food, while promoting sustainable practices across the whole food value chain.
We are now in an exciting phase of our growth. Our team is hugely collaborative, with a family-like approach. We are all incredibly passionate about what we do and in return, we get rewarded for our hard work. Our culture reflects our global mission and our brand values – social consciousness, community spirit, sustainability. We want more and more people to join our MMovement and help the Mercato Metropolitano project spread around the world.
To help us support our continuing growth and success, we are looking for our first full-time Senior finance hire – a unique, multi-faceted, hands-on Head of Finance – a consummate all-rounder, articulate communicator and a qualified Accountant, ACA, ACCA or CIMA. Ideally you will have some practice experience but it is essential that you will have worked in a fast-expanding commercial business, in a similar role, with international exposure.
You will have hands-on Accounting experience of high-volume stock (ideally food/drink, etc), logistics, supply chain and/or property.
You will love being hands-on, have a great eye for detail and relish the opportunity to make an impact, both commercially and operationally. You will support decision-making, develop our internal financial controls, implement processes and systems working alongside one of the Big 4s, who are responsible for our statutory accounts. You will also deliver clear, insightful management information. As we grow, you will start to build a small team – not just in Finance, but also in the management of Human Resources and other operational functions essential to our business.
Other responsibilities will include:
- Developing robust financial and management reporting processes that will help us to scale. We are currently migrating from Sage to Microsoft Navision.
- Managing and executing AP / AR, credit control, payroll, statutory requirements and management accounting for the business globally (we currently have a hands-on bookkeeper/Finance Manager so your role will include managing the information they produce).
- Managing, conducting and improving our month-end and year-end close processes.
- Working closely with our Board and senior leadership team to help develop our strategy for growth.
- Developing robust financial models and business cases for expansion, trends, budgets and long and short-term business plans.
- Analysing costs, pricing, sales results and the company’s actual performance compared to the business plans
- Controlling business expenses across all Group companies and managing cashflow.
- Supporting our fundraising processes – liaising with financial institutions, identifying opportunities, exploring investment options, pitching – when required – and responding to information requests.
- Producing quarterly forecasts and annual profit reports. You will also monitor, forecast and analyse our costs and revenues and budget vs. actual.
- Managing investor relations – updating dashboards, preparing reports, participating in Board meetings as required
- Managing vendor, client and partner (including banking, legal & HR) relationships.
As well as your Accounting qualifications, and hands-on reporting experience outlined above, you will be a proactive, tenacious, detail-oriented analytical Accountant. Technically, you will display:
- Superlative reporting and analytical skills.
- Hands-on experience with ERP systems and Sage.
- Up-to-date knowledge of accounting laws & regulations, ideally some international exposure.
- Advanced MS Excel. You will need to be able to build basic financial models.
- An innate ability to present financial data in a clear, non-technical manner.
- A desire to work in an incredible, international community-driven, sustainable business and to truly make a difference within an organisation which is currently being regarded as a ‘trailblazer’ of the new F&B and community business world. You will have a fresh, entrepreneurial approach but also present as grounded, measured and technically astute.
- Flexibility, an ability to deal with change and offer solutions quickly & prioritise accordingly.
- Experience in supporting the Board and senior management in making key decisions. You will challenge suggestions without being confrontational and you will aspire, and love, to become a business partner. Ideally you will have presented at Board level.
- A clear ability to work independently. You will be a self-starter, proactive and resilient professional.
- Demonstrable strategic acumen that’s underpinned by an ability to dig down into the detail to create a complete picture of any given business situation.
If you think this sounds like you and you want to join our MMovement, we will expect more than a copy of your CV; we would like you to illustrate to us why you would like to work with Mercato Metropolitano and help us to grow!
You may also work as Senior Finance Manager, Financial Controller, Finance Director, Finance Lead, Senior Accountant or similar.
Application Process: Please submit a CV via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will store applicant data for a period of 3 months and will not share it with anyone outside our organisation without your explicit consent. If we have not contacted you within 3 months (an estimate of the time period that it is likely to take to fill the advertised role) we will delete your data.
Mercato Metropolitano promotes equality of opportunity and diversity within the workplace and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.