Job Title: Hospitality/Retail Assistant
Location: London, UK
Salary: London Living Wage
Preferred Start Date: ASAP
Mercato Metropolitano is leading a global movement driving sustainable food development to tackle some of the world’s biggest societal issues, from food security to climate change. Their sustainable community markets invite people to eat, buy, share, and learn about food.
Mercato Metropolitano started with a pilot project in 2015 during the World Expo in Milan. The concept evolved from this success, and in 2016, the first site in London was opened in Elephant & Castle, on the site of a disused paper factory. The site saw 3 million visitors last year and has incubated over 40 food start-ups to date. Mercato Mayfair opened in St Marks Church, Mayfair in November 2019.
MM is much more than a food market: it’s an urban destination and a community space. We celebrate and build community through a diverse range of events, workshops, and cookery classes. We provide support to entrepreneurs and incubate start-ups to break down barriers and build a thriving economy.
The environment is at the core of everything we do. We bring together natural, sustainable, and unadulterated food and serve it using recyclable or compostable materials. We have a zero-waste-to-landfill approach and aim for no single-use plastic across the market.
Ultimately, our mission is to create a movement that guarantees everyone access to nutritious and affordable food, while promoting sustainable produce.
We are looking for experienced, skilled and energetic Retail and Hospitality Assistants to work in our Markets and Groceries in Elephant and Castle and Mayfair on a full time or part time basis.
- Assistant Site Manager in day to day floor operations of the market or grocery
- Ensuring that all policies and procedures mandated by the Site Manager are followed by all traders and MM staff.
- Follow sanitary practices for food handling, general cleanliness, and maintenance throughout the MM site.
- Work alongside the Hospitality Team to ensure the cleanliness of the market and excellent customer service. This includes cleaning crockery, cutlery and waste from around the market.
- Co-ordinate the stock and control of the grocery store, liaising with customers to upsell items and share knowledge of our products and various brands.
- Assist in coordinating promotional programmes and events within the site.
- Managing sales, the till system, understanding of our deli and wines.
Knowledge, Education & Experience:
- Strong commitment towards, and good grounding on, food sustainability.
- Educated at least at A levels.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines for self and team when required.
- An understanding of the food, restaurant and entertainment sectors is essential.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule including late evenings, weekends, and national holidays, when needed.
Application Process: Please submit a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will store applicant data for a period of 3 months and will not share it with anyone outside our organisation without your explicit consent. If we have not contacted you within 3 months (an estimate of the time period that it is likely to take to fill the advertised role) we will delete your data.
Mercato Metropolitano promotes equality of opportunity and diversity within the workplace and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.