Mercato Metropolitano is leading a global movement driving sustainable food development to tackle some of the world’s biggest societal issues, from food security to climate change. Their sustainable community markets invite people to eat, buy, share, and learn about food.
Mercato Metropolitano started with a pilot project in 2015 during the World Expo in Milan. The concept evolved from this success, and in 2016, the first site in London was opened in Elephant & Castle, on the site of a disused paper factory. The site saw 3 million visitors last year and has incubated over 40 food start-ups to date. Mercato Mayfair opened in St Marks Church, Mayfair in November 2019.
MM is much more than a food market: it is an urban destination and a community space. We celebrate and build community through a diverse range of events, workshops, and cookery classes. We provide support to entrepreneurs and incubate start-ups to break down barriers and build a thriving economy.
The environment is at the core of everything we do. We bring together natural, sustainable, and unadulterated food and serve it using recyclable or compostable materials. We have a zero-waste-to-landfill approach and aim for no single-use plastic across the market.
Ultimately, our mission is to create a movement that guarantees everyone access to nutritious and affordable food, while promoting sustainable produce.
About the role:
We are looking for a HR Assistant with Payroll experience to join our People team on a part-time basis. Reporting directly to the Head of People, this role will assist with the overall company HR function as well as handling the end of month payroll for our London locations.
As this is a pretty generalist role the HR & Payroll Assistant will be rolling up their sleeves and getting involved in several areas, but the primary responsibilities will include:
- Helping to structure, manage and maintain the new People system (Harri)
- Onboarding- contracts, new starter documentation, Right to Work Checks
- Off-boarding- assisting with exit interviews and terminating on system
- Supporting the Ops team with site-level recruitment using the ATS- writing JDs and adverts, posting job adverts, pre-interview screening and arranging in-person interviews
- Taking care of the maternity process- risk assessments, processing MATB1 forms and providing information on entitlements to expectant parents
- Providing HR Support & Advice for the Ops team in line with our Staff Handbook, escalating to a more senior level when necessary
- Assisting with the grievance & disciplinary process- arranging hearings, note-taking and updating records if required
- Getting involved in Employee Engagement initiatives e.g. internal newsletter, team events, birthday celebrations
- Monthly payroll processing- collecting payroll info and liaising with external payroll provider to ensure SSP, SMP, holidays etc are processed correctly
- Looking after the company pension scheme and any other benefits
- Responding to employee queries on HR/Payroll related issues
- General admin- creating and updating templates to ensure smooth HR processes
- Reporting on monthly KPIs e.g. turnover, absences, time to hire
- Any other related duties not specified above
The ideal candidate:
- Is personally aligned to the vision and values of Mercato Metropolitano, including food sustainability and wanting to ensure a clean environment for all
- Is from a hospitality background (preferably multi-site)
- Has 1-2 years’ experience in an HR & Payroll function
- Is knowledgeable in Employment law and HR best practice (ACAS Framework)
- Has minimum CIPD Level 3 or equivalent qualification
- Has experience of working with ATS and People systems (prior knowledge of Harri a HUGE plus)
- Is an excel wizard and knows their way around a pivot table!
- Has strong written and spoken English and is a great communicator (any additional languages are a plus)
- Is constantly looking for methods of self-improvement and opportunities for learning
- Is looking for a company that they can progress with and take on more responsibility as MM expands
- Is comfortable working in a multi-cultural environment and embracing the positives of a diverse workplace
What we offer in return:
- The opportunity to work in a company which prioritizes the planet and the people on it
- A competitive salary- £17,500 per annum (£28,000 per annum pro-rated)
- A lovely office space in Elephant & Castle with great transport links
- Family-friendly working hours- 10am to 3pm, Monday to Friday (25 hours per week)
- 33 days holiday per annum (pro-rated for part-time)
- Nest pension plan
- 20% discount at all MM locations including food stands, bars and grocery
- Monthly engagement activities
If you are interested in applying for this role then please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV and a covering letter telling us why you think you’d be a great fit for MM.
We look forward to hearing from you!