JUNIOR COOK – CIRCULAR KITCHEN
Mercato Metropolitano is leading a global movement driving sustainable food development to tackle some of the world’s biggest societal issues, from food security to climate change. Their sustainable community markets invite people to eat, buy, share, and learn about food.
Mercato Metropolitano started with a pilot project in 2015 during the World Expo in Milan. The concept evolved from this success, and in 2016, the first site in London was opened in Elephant & Castle, on the site of a disused paper factory. The site saw 3 million visitors last year and has incubated over 40 food start-ups to date. Mercato Mayfair opened in St Marks Church, Mayfair in November 2019.
MM is much more than a food market: it’s an urban destination and a community space. We celebrate and build community through a diverse range of events, workshops, and cookery classes. We provide support to entrepreneurs and incubate start-ups to break down barriers and build a thriving economy.
The environment is at the core of everything we do. We bring together natural, sustainable, and unadulterated food and serve it using recyclable or compostable materials. We have a zero-waste-to-landfill approach and aim for no single-use plastic across the market.
Ultimately, our mission is to create a movement that guarantees everyone access to nutritious and affordable food, while promoting sustainable produce.
About the role:
Mercato Metropolitano Mayfair and Elephant and Castle have created a staff restaurant whereby food will be accessible all day and will provide good, quality and most importantly nutritious meals. We state in our Manifesto “Right to Food & Food as it should be”, we strongly believe in healthy, balanced diets based on food that is natural and simply prepared.
We are looking for a Junior Cook to join our teams working across two markets in Mayfair and Elephant and Castle.
- Cleans food preparation areas as determined by law and company policy
- Prepares foods to the specifications of the circular kitchen recipes
- Prepares food before the arrival of customers and staff
- Makes adjustments to food items to accommodate allergies or specific diet concerns
- Manages other employees in the kitchen
- Acts as liaison to front-of-house employees to ensure proper food service temperature
- Orders ingredients and spices as needed and manages budget and stock control
- Operates various kitchen appliance such as a blender, oven, grill, or stand mixer
- Portions, arranges, and garnishes food based on recipes
- Assists other cooks during the food assembly process
- Estimates expected food consumption and organises preparation
- Manages budget and shift management for both kitchens
- Keeps records and accounts of food purchases
- Meets with customers to ensure a great meal experience
- Prepares any necessary sauces or accompaniments before meal service begins
- Cleans up after business hours
- Communicates with Executive Chef about how to improve service.
- Works alongside our Nutrition team to accommodate nutritional content and values of meals
7am – 3pm, 12pm – 9pm, 40-45 hours a week, to include weekends on a rota basis.
£26,000 to £32,000 dependant on experience, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.
Application Process: Please submit your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will store applicant data for a period of 3 months and will not share it with anyone outside our organisation without your explicit consent. If we have not contacted you within 3 months (an estimate of the time period that it is likely to take to fill the advertised role) we will delete your data.
Mercato Metropolitano promotes equality of opportunity and diversity within the workplace and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.