In April 2018, Mercato Metropolitano, Peabody and Hatch – three Southwark organisations – teamed up to support female food entrepreneurs to help turn one enthusiastic foodie’s dream into a thriving business. MM launched an online competition inviting entries from across south London to bid for:
We received 40 entries, of which seven were shortlisted and invited back to a MasterChef-style final. Nancy Nosel, the founder of Ze Spätzle Club, won with her traditional south-west German dish, spätzle.
She said: “Winning the Female Food Founders competition has been a life-changing experience, and the support from MM has been incredible. I’ve been able to go from cooking for friends as a break from my office job, to running my own stall with my own team and an exciting product.
“MM gave me unbelievable financial support. The executive chef taught me how to run a busy kitchen and develop new products, and the MM community of vendors is a valuable support network. I’m proud of what I’ve been able to achieve, proud of how popular spätzle is, proud that all of my ingredients are sustainably sourced and proud to be part of MM.”
MM is inviting people, companies and policymakers across London, the UK and the world to join the movement to change food culture in the country. This is an open invitation for people who believe in:
Healthy, sustainable, living food made with rural, artisanal practices
Supply chains that prioritise quality over price and make good, healthy food available
The importance of community in cities across the world, starting with London
We are delighted to welcome you all back, with an array of international dishes from our food trading partners, fresh groceries and artisanal deli in our community markets, which have been expanded with new outdoor seating options.
The wellbeing of our guests and our team is always our priority, and at this time it is more important than ever. We have in place the necessary precautions to deal with the Covid-19 situation and keep our visitors safe. Here are the measures we are taking to ensure your visit is safe, including:
• Indoor and outdoor seatings which have been configured to maintain social distancing in line with Government’s guidelines.
• A reduced and limited number of guests temporarily allowed in our markets, with social distancing markings which are in place throughout the indoor and external areas.
• In compliance with the NHS “Test and Trace” system, we are keeping a temporary record of our visitors, to assist NHS with data requests if needed. Please rest assured that we do not use any personal detail collected for any other purpose and will destroy them safely after this NHS requirement ceases.
• Increased hygiene and cleaning of surfaces and restrooms.
• Hand sanitiser stations installed and easy to find around the markets.
While we handle the restrictions required to assist the NHS and the country during this uncertain time, we remain committed to providing all our visitors and citizens with a safe, enjoyable and unique MM experience. Stay tuned to our social media channels for updated opening hours.